Monday, December 29, 2008

The Cardboard City Begins

I've decided that I'm tired of mooning about the internet, thinking "I should build some terrain someday", and just to build some. That said, I'm more interested in getting enough stuff built to be able to play with, without resorting to the Book Pile of Doom and hopefully be able to get some variety. I've got a ton of cardboard boxes lying around from the last move, plus a lot of bits I've been saving over the years.


On to the pictures!


A Manufactorum. I got this kit for my birthday a year or two ago, and only finally built it properly a couple weeks ago.
Photobucket


A bunker. It has a removeable lid. I patterned it roughly on the templates in the 4th Ed rulebook.
Photobucket
Photobucket


A small ruin. The broken floor is new (to me, at least). I only just noticed it while taking the pictures, but I think I'll work with it as it adds a nice touch to the piece.
Photobucket


The above ruin's mate. This one got some CoD bits I had left over from the Manufactorum to spruce it up.
Photobucket


A little barricade thingy.
Photobucket


A big ruin, again patterned on the template in the back of the 4th Ed rulebook.
Photobucket
Photobucket




So, yeah, that's the city so far. They're very plain, and unpainted, and they're likely to stay that way until I've got enough to do a good table, at which point I'll probably come back and do a second pass to add rubble, gubbins, etc.

Any suggestions for what to do next? I was thinking the remains of a small church.

7 comments:

  1. needs more pipes, we should hit home depot some time and get a whole bunch of random junk. Some Pvc pipe, dowels, stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally.

    I've done the basic design on a map campaign. Once I've got it typed up, I'd love to get your feedback both as a potential player and as a fellow designer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking buildings. i think they work without pipes and stuff, but the pipes and tidbits will spruce it up. How aobut building a radar station with drop ship pad or a cathedral next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using cardboard as the base will be a problem when you paint and/or sand the buildings.

    During your trip to Home Depot, look for the hobby size MDF boards. A 2x4 sheet of 1/8 MDF should be plenty for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into it.


    As for what's next, I think I want a couple more generic buildings but I've got an idea for a small cathedral. Basically, I'm thinking one of the cruciform-type layouts, but only building the ends (nave, wings, entrance) as if the centre has been blown out. That way, since I'll base them separately, they can be used together or apart as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you probably already plan on doing this but if you run packing tape or something around the edges it will paint a little neater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. That's a good one, and probably cheaper than using plasticard. Thanks!

    Updates tonight, I hope, featuring my just-thought-up Starbucks-pattern defense towers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails